Posts

Saturday, June 4, 2011

I Am Super Cereal

Cereal. Some people swear by it, others could care less.

I happen to care less. I sit in the minority.

This is a topic because of an article I found on Yahoo.com. Read up on it Here.

To put it simply, the market for cereal as a whole is on the downslope. Profits are dropping across a whole variety of kinds and brands. (I did not realize Kellog's was the largest - I thought General Mills was higher...) The growing decline since the 1990's, the article says, is due to a couple issues in particular. One being that prices have been rising within the industry for name brand cereals - opening a door to commercial brands of lower quality as well as other kinds of breakfast foods. Secondly, milk is also on the rise in price. It is difficult to really enjoy any cereal without milk to tie the breakfast together. Thirdly, modern tastes are changing.

There are concerns about child obesity and packaging restraints - causing more sugary products to be limited. This industry used to be a prime angle for people to make money because it is relatively inexpensive to produce, has substantial profit margins, and is easy to prepare in the household.

To me, all my friends ever talk about is cereal. Every chance they get when they eat at our cafeteria, is get cereal - namely because they don't trust the quality of the cooked food in house (and I thought our college cuisine wasn't bad but maybe expensive). Cereal is reliable and consistent. Its hard to have a bad bowl of fruit loops.

I was never a cereal eater. I enjoyed pop tarts and bagels - when I am actually hungry enough for breakfast. Otherwise, I skip it and enjoy a solid lunch and mild dinner (I could totally make it in Europe...) And though cereal is easy to prepare, it is much more easy to have pre-packaged or heat-n-go foods that take even less time to prepare. I feel that is the moving trend.

Here are some other fun Cereal based articles and funnies I have picked up.










1 comment:

  1. I swear my oldest son go through college on a diet of cereal, milk, yogurt and raman noodles!

    ReplyDelete