Posts

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Commercials

Perusing the Inter-Wobz, I found this today. I caught it only two hours after it was posted.

It is a rarity when advertisers hit the nail on the head with something over the top. Typically, especially with beer commercials, I feel that the audience is more directed towards 30 Years or older. I know this is typically the age that beer producers advertise to, but simply putting half naked women or stupid man jokes doesn't really attract college kids either. It is like a half way point between two demographics that they are afraid to infringe on because of the drinking age in the USA.

Other classic advertisements like the Budweiser Frogs / Clydesdales or Red Stripe / XX; Bundaberg Rum / Captain Morgan and countless countless others... Though all very creative, have difficulty bridging the gap between generations without it being too obvious that they are advertising to a younger crowd.

I appreciate it when advertisers make a concerted effort to do something creative, off color, and captivating. The problem is once one of them does it, they all jump on board to try and make up ground. Like, among my favorite commercials of all time are the Old Spice Commercials (Et all) and this one for Axe. I know the worlds to each of these.

It is when companies are able to make a definite image that it really sticks with me. I know, it is not easy to do at all either. It takes creative thinking, an able team, a capable director, and money.

The commercial above that was posted today for Hahn beer takes the cake with this one. It has a little bit of everything people want - and is relatively modern for it style of filming. It has themes of music, winning (Mr. Sheen), Rhinestones, smooth 70's, strength, and robots. It is a nostalgia hot box of past and present in a simple blue and white sleeve. If I lived in Australia, I would likely buy it.

I suppose I will have to ask my bud across the pond how it tastes...

Not to mention, as a tie in with my last post - Bender, the lovable robot, also brews his own beer. I wouldn't mind giving that a try as well...

1 comment:

  1. You are right - that is the most unusual beer ad I've ever seen. I had to keep watching it because my curiosity was aroused. I wondered, what exactly is this about?

    ReplyDelete